회원 플라자
회원 플라자

제4회 세계 요가의 날 행사

June 21st is International Yoga Day... and this year marks the fourth time it's going to be held. 

And Korea joined in the celebration a little early this year... with a special event held over the weekend in the heart of Seoul.  

Seo Bo-bin takes us to the scene. 

Thousands of local yoga enthusiasts pulled out their yoga mats to stretch, meditate, and breathe their way to good health and mindfulness, in celebration of the 4th annual International Yoga Day. 

This year in South Korea, the event took place in the 'car free zone' of Seoul's iconic Gwanghwamun Square. 

The United Nations declared June 21st as International Yoga Day in 2014, to honor the importance of yoga as an invaluable gift that embodies the unity of mind and body; thought and action; and harmony between man and nature. 

An ancient practice that originated from India... is now a worldwide phenomenon. 

"It's a day solely designated to Yoga… And just like me, thousands of yogis of all ages, nationalities and levels of skill have come here to relax and commune with nature under the theme 'Brighten the World '" 

"My body gets super relaxed. Yoga helps me better understand my body's condition, on whether my condition has improved. It's also good as it helps me reflect upon myself." 

"It's normally practiced indoors… But being outside and interacting with others is really great… And everything becomes part of yoga, yoga practice… Everything in life is all about yoga…" 

India's Ambassador to South Korea, Vikram Doraiswami, a yoga practitioner himself, attended the event as well. 

"I usually do it to loosen up in the morning and to get myself back into shape before today's work begins... The most important thing to think about yoga is that it's not just a form of exercise… It's holistic system it brings the inner tranquility, order and sense of calmness from within…" 

More than just a means of relieving stress, everyone who gathered in central Seoul to celebrate the ancient 

practice seemed to have a common purpose. 

That purpose is to understand that yoga is not just about exercise, but to discover the sense of oneness between yourself, nature, and the world. 

Seo Bo-bin, Arirang News.

0 Comments